[Bristol-Birds] merlin at oak hill cemetery

  • From: "Rick Phillips" <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:29:33 -0500

Two Merlins are wintering at Oak Hill Cemetery in north Kingsport.
Only one bird is seen regularly.  This bird is the smaller and more
blue-gray of the two and I presume is a male.  The other bird is a bit
larger and more brownish on the back.  The male bird has been
appearing  regularly about 30 minutes before sunset and perching high
in the top of the same Spruce he used last year.  He has been there
every day for the past week.  Sometimes he can be located at other
times during the day, but is most reliable at sunset.  I determined
their were two birds by photography.  I have yet to see both birds at
the same time this year.

After entering the cemetery through the gates, bear to your left and
follow the road until you see tall spruces on your right.  Check the
tops of these trees for the Merlin.

Rick Phillips
Kingsport