[Bristol-Birds] merlin at kingsport - location within oak hill cemetery

  • From: "Rick Phillips" <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 17:39:15 -0500

A single Merlin was present once again this afternoon at Oak Hill Cemetery,
Kingsport, Sullivan County, Tennessee, from around 4:15 until 4:45 pm. The
individual was perched in the same treetop the entire time.  I have not failed
to see a Merlin in this treetop any afternoon I have been there since first
seeing the birds on Jan 12.  Here are the best directions I can come up with to
locate a bird in the cemetery.

After you drive thru the Oak Hill Cemetery entrance gate (there is only one
entrance and exit) bear to your far left and follow the road for about .2 miles
as it follows the cemetery boundary.  At around .2 miles you will see a large
monument on your right which has the Lord's Prayer engraved on the side
opposite the road.  Park here, get out of your car and walk over and place your
back to the monument facing away from it and looking down into the cemetery.
Look slightly to your left and you will see a couple of spruce trees, one of
which has a few stems without any needles at the top.  This is where one of the
Merlins has perched each afternoon.  I have seen him once there during the
morning,and my brother saw it once around 9:00 am.  Your best bet is afternoon
sometime after 3:30 pm until dark.  The other Merlin might be perched nearby in
any other tall conifer...or might not be seen.

Hope this helps for those who come looking.

Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee