[Bristol-Birds] mated Canada Geese with goslings were both banded

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 15:26:13 -0400

Saturday
May 12, 2012
Middlebrook Lake
Sullivan Co., TN

An adult pair of Canada Geese were walking in the road along the side dike,
ushering their seven goslings.  Mostly they were trying to keep them out of the
road and in the grass where the little ones were feeding fairly well.

Amazingly, both adults were wearing US Fish & Wildlife Service bands.  We don't
see that many banded birds these days.  There was a time when the majority of
Canada's in a small flock would have bands.

It appears these banded adults are from the local population in the region and
banded by state wildlife biologist and probably not very long ago.  Both birds
were banded on the left leg. Both bands were not particularly closed properly
and were a bit too open.  It appeared the band numbers were oriented in the
same direction as to turned rightside up or upside down.

They were most likely in a group of birds which were mostly all trapped and
banded at the same time.  I couldn't get in position to read the band numbers
with my scope without chasing them away.

Let's go birding . . . .