[bristol-birds] long weekend birds and butterflies

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:12:04 EST

On Friday, March 08 I saw the following:
     at Veterans Administration Mountain Home Theater, one sleeping Barn Owl-
     at Winged Deer Park, 16 spp. including Hermit Thrush, Brown Creeper,
Hairy Woodpecker, Golden-crowned Kinglet, plus one Mourning Cloak-
     at Austin Springs, American Woodcock (2 or 3 calling from 6:50 to 6:55,
but no aerial displays), also heard many Spring Peepers and Upland Chorus
Frogs-
     at my home in Carter Co., one Cabbage White

On Saturday, March 09:
     besides the Hermit Thrush reported by Rack Cross, after the hike I saw
two Ring-necked Ducks on the lake, 1 male, 1 female-

On Sunday, March 10:
     at the pond at the intersection of Kyker Rd. and Leroy Lane near
Limestone, TN, 5 Tree Swallows-
     at Bowmantown Ruritan, an adult Red-headed Woodpecker-
     at Bowmantown TWRA wetland, overheard faintly overhead to the northwest,
a Common Raven; and two American Black Ducks seen in Indian Creek.  I stayed
until dark listening for frogs and American Woodcock, but heard none.-

Today Monday, March 11:
     over Central Elementary School in Carter Co., 6 Tree Swallows (my
neighbor just put up his Purple Martin gourds last week, looks like the
swallows found 'em first!)
     several Sulphurs and a sure sign of spring, a mating pair of Cabbage
Whites!

  - Don Holt, Central Community, Carter Co., TN
Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958