[Bristol-Birds] herd of deer, flock of turkey, beautiful Sunday

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 00:33:11 -0500

 This herd of 32 White-tailed Deer was seen shortly after 3:30 Sunday afternoon
on a
 ridge behind Tri-City Airport in Sullivan Co.  Five minutes before, a flock of
67 Wild Turkey
 was seen near the front of the airport.  This photo was taken from about 200
yards
 with a point-and-shoot pocket camera and zoom.

 While the numbers are not exceedingly large, they are enough to add a special
touch
 of the wild.

 We once saw a herd about this time of the year at Rockbridge Alum Springs
Biological
 Research Station, not far from Lexington, VA, which had more than a 100 deer.
We
 also thought we counted about that many one night in Shady Valley, TN while we
were
 scanning fields with night vision binoculars.  Everywhere we looked, there
were dozens
 standing around barns, in people's yards and fields.

 Sunday was a beautiful day.

 Wallace Coffey
 Bristol TN

JPEG image