[Bristol-Birds] hatching year (juvenile Bald Eagle) found on North Fork Holston River in Scott Co., VA

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bristol Bird Club'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 18:35:23 -0400

BAEA nest searching part North Fork Holston 5 July 2014.jpg

The downriver eagle foray group prepares to launch at the US 58 bridge at

Hiltons in Scott Co., VA today (5 July 2014) at 10 a.m.  Left to right are

Chris O'Bryan (assisting),  Jennifer Meade,  Bambi Fincher and Cation Lipe.

(Photo by Wallace Coffey)

Our eagle downriver foray group came up big with a juvenile (hatching year)
Bald Eagle today,

establishing the first known eagle breeding evidence for the North Fork
Holston River and

Scott County in Southwest Virginia history.  They watched an adult Bald
Eagle feeding the

juvenile meat from a Spiny Softshell Turtle.

BAEA North Fork Holston juvenile feeding on bank 5 July 2014.jpg

The juvenile Bald Eagle standing along North Fork 7/5/14

BAEA juvenile HY bird North Fork Holston 5 July 2014 SMALLER PHOTO.jpg

The juvenile Bald Eagle flying after having been flushed along North Fork
7/5/14

The following is their report from the day's activities sent by Cation Lipe:

"What a day! After a rough, painstakingly slow five hour trip consisting
mostly of hiking

mid-river due to the dry conditions, Bambi Fincher and Jennifer Meade
spotted an adult

(female, we believe) Bald Eagle feeding a juvenile softshell turtle on the
river bank just

a few feet from the location I spotted an adult on April 27th, 2014. The
adult eagle flew,

leaving the young one to ponder its fan club for several minutes before I
noticed my

paddle rapidly fleeing on the current. When I made a leap to save my paddle,
I startled

the young bird into a nearby tree. We crept downriver to the juvenile and
found it

napping on a dark, shady branch over the shoals, and watched and waited for
some 30

minutes for it to awake or the adult to return. We decided to leave before
disturbing

the bird's rest in search of the nest, and scoured the bluffs, snags, and
borders for 4 more

miles but the leafy woods gave nothing up. Still a remarkable day and well
worth the

sunburn and achy muscles. Great to have Jennifer Meade and Bambi Fincher
along for

the expedition."

Photos and report

assembled by Wallace Coffey, Bristol, TN

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image