[Bristol-Birds] good Day for birding

  • From: "Don Carrier" <donc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:07:35 -0500

Starting birding in Sullivan county TN at Ft. Patrick Henry Dam this
morning:

Night Herons (2) (+life list)
Blue Herons (21)
Red Tail Hawk(2)

Moved on to Hawkins County TN

Black vultures (6)
Killdeer (14)
Meadowlark(18)
American Kestral (7)
Red Tail Hawk (2)
Robins (50)
Song sparrow (50+)

Then to Green County TN

Loggerhead Shrike (3)(+life list)
Common Snipe (1)(+life list)
Meadowlarks (10)
American Kestral (23)
Red Winged blackbirds (60+)
Red Tail Hawks (6)
Killdeer (12)

What a great day! Started with a trip to the Heronry at Ft. Patrick Henry
Dam. Counted 37 nests. Got my first ever Night Herons. The blue herons were
as thick as mosquitoes. Moved on up Goshen valley, and across some Black
vultures that were not intimidated by my presence. Red Tail Hawks circled
the valley. American Kestrels lined our trek. Meadowlarks were singing from
the fence posts. Robins and sparrows on every corner. On to Baileyton and
back down the mountain. Ran across a logging operation using a helicopter to
remove the logs from the forest!

Took many new roads and found loggerhead shrikes (lifelist) watching ponds
of freshly emerged peepers.  Kestrels were hovering mid air to keep an eye
on the fields below.
        I stopped in the middle of the small country road to grab some photo's
of
the Killdeer. On the passenger side of my car was a small pond. Setting in
the shallow water was what I thought to be a woodcock. I check of the guide
reveled it was a common snipe. Once again a entry for my lifelist. Finally
while coming back down the road from Chimney top I encountered a group of
ostrich crossing the road.

A pretty unusual end to great day.

Don Carrier
Bristol, Tennessee