[Bristol-Birds] goldfinch invasion

  • From: "Rick Phillips" <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:49:25 -0400

As usually happens this time each year our yard here in Kingsport has been
invaded by goldfiches.  The songs fill the air constantly as the small birds
forage actively through the yard for dandelion seeds and the unbelievable
volume of seeds put forth by Chinese Elms on the surrounding property.  I
counted 74 goldfinches in a stroll around the yard just a few minutes ago.
Also, for the first time this spring I heard Purple Finches singing.  They also
seem to love the seeds of the Chinese Elms.

Rick

Rick Phillips
Sullivan County
Kingsport, Tennessee