[Bristol-Birds] gnat-catchers

  • From: "Todd and Lynn Eastin" <eastin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:13:04 -0400

While doing a late afternoon livestock check, I noticed some bird activity at a
wooded edge above the junction of Griffin and Johnson Hollow Rds in Shady
Valley.  What began as one small bird that I quickly identified as a Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher soon became more of the lively little fellows.  It was a bit of a
visual juggle and memory test to keep their respective positions distinct in my
field of view (naked eye) so as not to count them twice.  They also did not
standout vividly due to the gray sky background.  But I ended up with five of
them moving within my view.  Most I've ever seen at one time.
An added benefit in the understory was a pair of Eastern Towhees.

Todd Eastin
Shady Valley, TN