[Bristol-Birds] eaglets visible at South Holston nest !

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 18:57:17 -0400

South Fork Holston River
eastern Sullivan County, TN

The Bald Eagle's nest along the river and TN Rt. 44 appears to have two young
that are probably about the size of the Kyle's Ford eagle nest in Hancock Co.,
TN, shown in the photos posted to this list last week by Jennifer Meade.  Bob
Cheers and I spent the better part of an hour watching the nest this afternoon.
 With a 30x scope, we could see what appeared to be the white downy heads of
one or more eaglets visible just above the rim of the nest and gently swaying.
We were also able to see an adult eagle peering out from the edge of the nest
on two to three occasions.  The bill, eye and darker markings about the head
indicate the adult is the mother of the brood.

Let's go birding . . .