[Bristol-Birds] eagle pair found on Boone Lake -- Sullivan County

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 21:18:54 -0500

A pair of adult Bald Eagles, perched together in a tree
facing a very large stick nest which appears to be half completed
and about 250 yards away, was found today (1 Feb 2012,
2:20 p.m.) on Boone Lake in Sullivan County, TN.

If this is determined to be the nest of these birds, it would
be the first for Boone Lake and second for Northeast Tennessee.
The nest support is not yet convincing.

The apparently-mated pair was discovered perched not far from
the water's edge.  They stood for hours in a light rain.

A small flock of perhaps 10-15 Wild Turkey walked about and fed
just yards from the eagle pair and very much in the open.  The
eagles paid little if any attention to the flock.  We were so sure
it was a successful meal for the eagles that we had cameras
aimed, ready and fingers on the triggers.

The photo above was taken as a digiscope in foggy conditions
by Mike Sanders.

Together we are searching over a six-county area which stretches
75 miles across Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee and
includes multiple counties in both states.

The search includes many personal interviews face-to-face, by
phone and email.  The search leads along all the rivers and lakes
in the counties.  Many interviews are in front yards, on doorsteps,
along roads and with anyone who might have information, tips,
photographs or reliable hearsay. Store clerks and business
operators have been visited at their work. We have interviewed birders
in their driveways, federal, state and county workers.  We have
had considerable help from TVA maintenance workers, wildlife
police and wildlife officers, Virginia Department of Game and
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency officials.  Farmers and
landowners have provided valuable support and property access.
We have called REALTORS© and searched property ownership
and scanned many maps and air photos.

And to those of you who have called and left messages or sent
email to supply information, we are not taking you lightly.  We will
respond as time permits.  And we especially value those of you
who have sent just simple encouragement.  Maybe you will find
yours here and know we are listening:

--- wow Wallace, what a gorgeous pic!  So glad you and Mike are
pursuing this!

 --- if you are going or need any other eyes this coming weekend,
I am free and would be glad to go with you and Mike.

---  If possible could you forward directions for viewing the eagle
nest on s holston lake? Enjoyed the camera post Thanks in advance

--- 1/30, A friend shared the photos of the bald eagles form you or
the club and I just want to share that I saw a bald eagle while driving
on Gap Creek Rd toward Johnson City on Tues, Jan 24 about mid-day.
He was siting on limb of pine tree

---  Beautiful! What a lovely sight!

It is tremendous fun.

JPEG image