[Bristol-Birds] Re: checking from field

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:49:10 -0400

I accidentally disconnected my laptop at the end of that last post.

I was attempting to say that on the scene photos, taken by almost
anyone one with a variety of cameras and lenses, can be sent
within minutes when a very rare bird is observed.

During the passage of the hurricane force winds at South Holston
Lake Mike Sanders, Rob Biller and I all made simultaneous
internet connection with a single smart phone by each using a
3G hotspot connection to the cellphone.

This is not new breaking technology.  Probably a half-dozen
birders are now posting directly to Bristol-Birds net from the field
and a dozen or more to TN- Birds.  Jeff Wilson in West Tennessee
frequently reports directly from the field.

This approach is not simply for person-to-person communications.
That is what many birders are doing with text messages.

Text message are being widely used to confirm ID of  birds, make
minute-to-minute connections to meet each other in the field or
give live directions to a rare spotting.  Bird photos are being
quickly shared with text message directly between birders in the
field to share photos.

What is being shared here is widely used and often among
local birders in the field.

Hoarding bird observations, bird knowledge, birding information
no longer provides the birder the previously-enjoyed “power of
possessing knowledge and information.”  In fact it is causing a
wider gap of influence by those that are falling further and
further behind by trying to cling to such vanishing  security.

This remote wireless keyboard technology is just one among
may ways to share connection to a more real-time communication
platform for birding.

Rack Cross made the first cellphone report to Bristol-Birds Net
about eight years ago.  Rob Biller posts frequently with a
smart phone.  Mike Sanders reports from the field with such
a phone.

They might tell you that I could continue to post from my
phone and not need a laptop keyboard in the field.  But
there are many tools to do many things and I am putting
one more tool in place.

from the field.....

Wallace Coffey
Bristol TN