[Bristol-Birds] cedar waxwings

  • From: Buckfolk@xxxxxxx
  • To: Bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:31:11 -0500 (EST)

Yesterday (Monday) we were treated to a wild cherry tree full of cedar
waxwings. It was late in the afternoon and all were facing the setting sun,
their lemony bellies glowing. They flew in bunches to two giant holly trees
in the street in back of us. The trees were chuck full of berries. I counted
118  birds in the cherry tree and stopped counting.

This morning about 8:30 the waxwings were lined up drinking water in a
small lily pond across the street from us (Randolph St.) and flying in and out
of a nearby huge catalpa tree. The sun was shining right on them at their
watering hole and the red "wax" dots on their wings were clearly visible, as
 were their facial features and crests. It was a one in a million sight for
me  and Mary.

Ruth Clark