[Bristol-Birds] breeding Bald Eagles found on Boone Lake in Sullivan County

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 13:40:25 -0500

 Thanks to a nice tip posted to Bristol Birds Net by Glen Eller, on behalf of
his daughter,
 the apparent nesting site of a pair of Bald Eagles at  Boone Lake in Sullivan
Co., TN
 has been located.

 "On Sunday afternoon (Jan 20), my daughter, Lia, had a pair of adult Bald
Eagles soaring
  over the Tri-Cities Baptist Church off exit 10 on I-26.  She said they were
in sight for
  about 10 minutes then left going towards Bristol," Eller posted.

 That was a spark that rekindled our fire to hunt that pair.  By all directions
and history of
 eagles at Boone Lake, this soaring pair was within the expected six-mile
soaring radius
 we apply to local pairs.  We immediately went to the I-26 location and set out
 search plan in the direction she saw them fly -- towards Boone Dam.  The area
was
 covered for six hours the first day with nothing found.

 All indication suggested this is what we had called the "Land Between the
Rivers" pair
 which was frequenting an area along the first mile of the Watauga River
embayment of
 Boone Lake up to River Mile Marker 15.  Last nesting season, a pair loosely
hung out
 together on the Sullivan County shore of the Watauga River embayment but soon
left.
 They were never relocated.  There was no evidence they were nesting.

 They seem to have reappeared in the South Fork Holston River embayment and
have been
 renamed the Haw Ridge Pair for 2013.  We've spent enough hours and many, many
 miles trying to get stability to what we believe is the former "Land Between
the Rivers"
 pair.  The new location is 1.5 miles north of the last known location of the
"Land Between the
 Rivers" pair.   It is 9 miles NW of the Winged Deer Park/Austin Springs pair
location and
 about 5.5 miles SW of the "Rainbow Bridge" pair, downstream from Bluff City.
Both of the
 later pairs had failed nesting attempts last year and have possibly relocated.

 On Friday (1 Feb), we watched this pair of adult eagles mating on a limb of a
very tall tree which
 towers above a ridge just SW of Point 4 in the South Fork Holston River
embayment of Boone
 Lake and likewise SW of the address 505 Steadman Road.  This was about 3 p.m.

 They perched in the tall tree with a sub-adult that is probably not mature
enough to breed.  It
 seemed to be a third-year bird.  So the origin of this bird as an offspring of
this pair would not
 seem to have been from last nesting season.

A lengthy interview with an alert, smart and observant neighbor, reported this
pair has been
there most of the year.  They have more usually been seen in that same tree in
late afternoon.

Before we were able to establish which of the adults was the male or female,
one of the mating
birds flew to the limb with the sub-adult bird.  Those two then flew about 50
feet to another
tree and perched together for maybe five minutes.  That adult left and flew up
the South Fork
embayment.  The second mated bird remained in the tall tree for maybe 20
minutes.  It flew away
without our noticing and its destination escaped us.  About 90 minutes of
systematic searching
did not find either bird.  The sub-adult remained for an extended period.

No nest has been found.

Because the apparent "staging" tree is in such an isolated and large woodlot of
the ridge, this is a difficult area to search.

Anyone who is birding in that area is asked to report any Bald Eagle activity
you might observe.

JPEG image