[Bristol-Birds] Re: bluebird boxes

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 06:37:25 -0400

I think Wallace Coffey has the cart before the horse. The push for
bluebird boxes came when farmers quit using wooden fence posts and then
the farms were cut up for developments. When that ideal nesting habitat
began to disappear so did the bluebirds. We would not have the numbers
of bluebirds we have today were it not for people putting up bluebird
houses.
My solution has been to put up several bluebird boxes. That way there's
room for the Tree Swallows, sparrows, House Wrens etc. Personally, I
clean out the sparrow and starling nesters after their brood is hatched
to discourage them. I have one box, on top of the highest point on the
property, that is used by bluebirds year after year.
My solution would be to ignore what they say about how close bluebird
houses should be and let other birds use the other houses. The
competition for nesting cavities is fierce everywhere. There are simply
more cavity nesters than there are sites available. Once mated with eggs
about to hatch, any other bird will do what she has to do to find that
cavity. Put out more boxes or encourage your neighbors to do the same
and your problem she resolve itself.

James Brooks