[bristol-birds] belated report of early bird

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 19:38:01 EDT

Hey folks,
     I forgot to report a bird sighting made by Sammy Cross, Rack's son, on
Aug. 03 at Quarry Bog, Shady Valley, TN.  Sammy  and his cousin, Codee
Burton,  were displaying their superior eyesight pointing out all the
dragonflies and butterflies I was missing when Sammy saw a duck flying over
and called my attention to it.  I had a brief, but clear look at it with 8X
binoculars from about 200 ft.  It was dark brown, with contrasting white wing
linings, and a clearly seen purple speculum with a posterior white edge.  I
recognized it as an American Black Duck.  It settled into the stream hidden
in the eastern corner of the marsh, between the pond and Quarry Rd.  Rack
missed seeing it, and was hoping to add it to his lifelist.  Unfortunately,
we failed to relocate the bird.  In "The Birds of Northeast Tennessee" by
Rick Knight, the earliest date shown for American Black Ducks is Aug. 25.  I
want to thank Sammy and Codee for showing me so much wildlife that I would
have otherwise missed.

Don Holt
910 Smalling Rd.
Johnson City, TN 37601
(423) 926-0865
Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958