[Bristol-Birds] Re: [bcbirdclub] Golden Eagle and Common Raven Dogfight Part II

  • From: "Don Carrier" <donc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'buchanan co bc'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'virginia birds'" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 21:46:11 -0500

Great Story and Great Photos!

Don Carrier

  _____

From: bcbirdclub-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bcbirdclub-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Thomas Hunter
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:45 PM
To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; buchanan co bc; virginia birds
Subject: [bcbirdclub] Golden Eagle and Common Raven Dogfight Part II

Several weeks ago I described an encounter between Common Ravens and Golden
Eagles that did not appear to be very serious. The scene that I witnessed
today was entirely different. While birding the Cove Road area in Tazewell
County(SiteMMH08 Va Birding & Wildlife Trail, Mountain Section) I stopped to
chase some sparrows from one side of the road to the other. There was a
group of 50+ Crows and 10+ Common Ravens making a lot of noise on the
hillside next to the road. They appeared to be taking turns mobbing each
other. I scanned the hill and discovered an immature Golden Eagle with 2
Common Ravens in hot pursuit. The Golden Eagle landed on the ridgeline and
before I could get my scope out and focused there were 7 Common Ravens
sitting beside the Eagle. When the Eagle lifted off the Ravens resumed their
atack. They would take turns with 3 or 4 diving and the others soaring
nearby. The Eagle tried to land in a tree and the Ravens went after him
while  it was on it's perch. The Eagle finally went out of sight over the
hill after taking a heavy pounding. I took some long distance photos just to
document the scene. The first gives you some idea of the distance even with
a 400mm lens. The photos are at the following link:
 http://www.pbase.com/opiehunter/eagle_and_raven_encounter

I have also included some other photos taken today:
http://www.pbase.com/opiehunter/february_birds

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club
Lebanon, VA