[Bristol-Birds] admendum #1 Shady Valley/Mountain City CBC

  • From: MerlinZ02@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:19:02 EST

Added Fox Sparrow - the count number is still 62 as it was counted off the
card and not off the email list.  Sorry for any confusion.
Premlinary List for Shady Valley / Mountain City CBC

Here is a preliminary list for the Shady Valley / Mountain City CBC

I encourage all party leaders / members to check my numbers to yours to
ensure the accuracy of my compilation.  Since the Audubon server is down, this
is a
great opportunity to check the numbers I have received to make sure I
transferred them correctly. A dash(-) means party did not list the species.
The
count included Shady Valley (the Valley proper) and the areas between and
including parts of Mountain City.

The order of the following is thus: (listed by party leaders):

Ron Carrico - Wallace Coffey - Don Holt - Rick Knight = TOTAL

Great Blue Heron 1 - - 1 = 2
American Black Duck - - 1 - = 1
Canada Goose 14 13 60 14 = 101
Mallard 4 - 8 10 = 22
Cooper's Hawk 1 - - 1 = 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1 - 1 = 2
Red-shouldered Hawk - 1 - - = 1
Red-tailed Hawk 4 2 1 1 = 8
American Kestrel - 1 1 1 = 3
Black Vulture - - 5 2 = 7
Turkey Vulture 1 9 19 4 = 33
Wild Turkey 6 - 10 - = 16
Killdeer - - 2 11 = 13
Mourning Dove 9 78 11 75 = 173
Rock Pigeon - - 3 9 = 12
Barn Own 1 - - - = 1
Barred Owl 4 - - - = 4
Eastern Screech Owl 2 - - 2 = 4
Great Horned Owl 2 - 2 2 = 6
Belted Kingfisher - - 6 2 = 8
Northern Flicker 1 3 3 3 = 10
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1 2 2 - = 5
Downy Woodpecker 4 9 4 5 = 22
Hairy Woodpecker 2 6 2 - = 10
Pileated Woodpecker 1 5 8 4 = 18
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1 3 2 4 = 10
Eastern Phoebe 3 - 2 1 = 6
American Crow 348 86 71 310 = 815
(The crow number may be a little high as Ron's and Wallace's crows could be
in both - I am open to suggestions here, Wallace? Rick? Ronnie?)
Blue Jay 7 2 11 16 = 36
Common Raven 3 1 2 3 = 9
Carolina Chickadee 18 51 20 26 = 115
Tufted Titmouse 13 23 11 12 = 59
Brown Creeper 1 - - 1 = 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1 - - - = 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 4 4 6 7 = 21
Carolina Wren 8 9 13 24 = 54
Winter Wren - - - 1 = 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 8 - 7 4 = 19
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1 - 1 = 2
Eastern Bluebird 8 13 16 10 = 47
American Robin 11 4 - 12 = 27
Hermit Thrush - 3 1 2 = 6
Northern Mockingbird 1 3 2 7 = 13
Brown Thrasher - - - 2 = 2
European Starling 41 132 149 70 = 392
Cedar Waxwing 12 40 - 12 = 64
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 4 1 8 = 13
Northern Cardinal 12 36 5 23 = 76
Dark-eyed Junco 25 58 35 14 = 132
Field Sparrow - 3 - 3 = 6
Fox Sparrow - - - 1 = 1
Song Sparrow 43 24 35 42 = 144
Swamp Sparrow 3 4 4 5 = 16
White-crowned Sparrow 3 1 18 16 = 38
White-throated Sparrow 10 21 17 53 = 101
Eastern Towhee 1 1 1 10 = 13
Red-winged Blackbird - - 42 - = 42
Common Grackle - - 39 - = 39
Eastern Meadowlark 3 3 - 1 = 7
House Finch - - 12 2 = 14
American Goldfinch 48 136 33 76 = 293
House Sparrow 3 2 11 9 = 25

Total Species Count = 62

If there is any confusion about the format of the above list, please email
me.  Also email me if you see a number that is wrong.

Thanks again to everyone involved!

Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN

and Cumberland Nature Club.