[Bristol-Birds] Re: Young Mockers in Buchanan County

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:11:00 -0400

Roger Mayhorn and Area Birders:

The information Roger has produced regarding the expansion of the mockingbird
in Eastern Kentucky and nearby West Virginia is neat.  Often times, species
begin establishing themselves in a region before we know it.  Sometimes they go
years undiscovered.  In this case, there were knowledgeable observers in
Eastern Kentucky who began to tune into the arrival of the mockingbird, even if
they did not make good records of the event.  Breeding bird atlases in both
both states, during the last decade, did not detect this significant level of
mockingbird distribution.  The understanding of this change in bird populations
has been advanced.  Would it be reasonable to make a few driving surveys in a
structured way (similar to a breeding bird survey) in several of the Kentucky
border counties. Maybe this would establish some measure of the expansion ?  A
snapshot, if you will, of the population in several counties at this date.
Perhaps a neat paper of a page or so could be published in the "Kentucky
Warbler," journal of the Kentucky Ornithological Society.  Roger would be well
qualified to pull this off, if he can find the time.  Like all the rest of us,
I am sure he has more on his plate than he can say grace over.  Eventually,
this is should be published in so manner for Kentucky's record of bird
distribution.  Way to go Roger!  Another significant contribution.

Let's go birding.....