[Bristol-Birds] Yellow-crowned Night-Heron nest, Greene Co., TN

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:01:07 -0400

This morning, Wed., Aug. 20, 2003, I returned to the site at Clyde Austin 4-H
Center where I saw the Yellow-crowned Night-Heron yesterday.  The bird was not
evident.  I looked in the tree it had perched in and found a stick nest about
30 ft. up.  It has the appearance of other Yellow-crowned Night-Heron nests I
have seen, somewhat irregular, about a foot wide, flat, not too deep, made of
sticks of about pencil thickness.  The ground immediately below the nest is
regularly mowed, but otherwise infrequently traveled by people.  The creek and
nearby wetland are well populated with crawdads, including burrowing crawdads
that come to the surface to feed at night.  The creek is lined with a narrow
strip of trees, and a patchwork of small plots of riparian type forest is
scattered around the vicinity.  In hindsight, it looks like perfect
Yellow-crowned breeding habitat.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN