[Bristol-Birds] Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, Greene Co., TN

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:31:23 EDT

Tuesday, August 19, 2003
Clyde Austin 4-H Center
Greeneville, TN
D. Holt

Today at around 2 pm, I flushed a juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-Heron out of
the creek.  It landed in a nearby catalpa tree, where it remained for several
minutes before descending to the creek again.  At about 6 pm Don Miller joined
me for another look.  We found the bird perched in the same catalpa tree, and
viewed it for a long while, and from various angles, from about 50 ft.  After
Don Miller left, I went back and took several photos.  It changed limbs once,
but was still in the tree when I left.  It looked like it could be a first
year bird, with a couple of downy plumes sticking out the top of its head.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN
and Cumberland Nature Club.