[bristol-birds] Yellow-crowned Night Heron

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Birstol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 19:03:54 -0400

TN Birders,
My sincerest thanks to Wallace Coffey for the great directions to the
Yellow-crowned Night Heron at Sycamore Shoals in Elizabethton, TN. Yesterday
My wife, Lynda and I found the lifebird after only a few minutes of
searching. This particular species had eluded us before. We were surprised
to find it in the river not more than 50 feet from us. We looked at it
through binoculars and the scope. It was so close its head and part of its
neck filled the entire field of view in the scope. The huge dark iris of the
eye could be seen surrounded by the red outer ring. This male in breeding
plumage stood and watched us as the breeze gently moved his head plumes. It
is a magnificent bird.

As I watched through the scope the heron suddenly became alert;The head
drove downward and came up with what looked like a small fresh water eel
about 7 or 8 inches long. The eel, if that's what it was, had a long
transparent dorsal fin that ran nearly the length of its body. It quickly
disappeared down the heron's throat. If Watauga River doesn't have fresh
water eels, it may have been a Mud Puppy, what my dad used to call a
Grampus.

After watching the bird for quite a while we left. On the way back to
Abingdon, where we were staying, I realized that I had been so caught up in
watching this master fisherman that I had forgotten to take any video. So
this morning we returned to the same location, and there he was just across
the river. This time we watched him catch a huge crayfish.

If anyone is in the area and wants to take a look, the heron was 70 paces
below the small footbridge along the gravel path. Thanks again Wallace. Even
if this had not been a lifebird for me it would have been worth the trip,
twice.

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958