[Bristol-Birds] Yellow-crowed night herons - Sycamore Shoals

  • From: L Tyler <soaringeaglez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Bird Club <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 17:11:20 -0700 (PDT)

Around 5:30 tonight I observed 4 Yelow-crowned night herons in the same tree as
last year's nest.  They were easily viewed from the metal gate across the
gravel path at Sycamore Shoals State Park.  Two were tending to a large nest,
and switched places with one another to sit on the nest.  The other two were by
themselves, preening & dozing.  Two of the birds eventually flew off.

An hour later, Brookie & Jean Potter arrived, and we observed the bird not on
the nest whooping and displaying several times.  Then it left the tree, leaving
the one nesting heron.  Local birders, Nick & Lisa Botts, arrived. While
watching the one nesting bird, the other three swooped into the tree at the
same time.  Two appeared to pair off and started constructing a second nest,
approximately 8' from the first one!

Lisa Tyler
Elizabethton, TN