[bristol-birds] Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Wilbur Lake

  • From: Kat92047@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:30:12 -0400

On Tuesday, Aug. 27, around 5 p.m., Howard Langridge and Bryan Stevens birded
around Wilbur Lake near Elizabethton in Carter County, TN.

Of Interest:
Large flock of Common Grackles
Raven
Black-throated Green Warblers
Swarms of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds
Nashville Warbler
and Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

The flycatcher was located across the bridge at Wilbur in the thick growth in a
small hollow to the right just after crossing the bridge. Beavers have
fashioned some small pools, but the pools are obscured now by thick shrub.

We observed it from about 20-30  feet distance. Very yellow bird, dark,
contrasting wings with wing bars. Very yellow belly and a yellow throat. The
throat was definitely yellow, not a dingy white.

The painting of the adult Yellow-bellied in Sibley's Guide to Birds is a
perfect likeness of the bird we saw.  Other guides, notably Kauffman's Focus
guide, emphasize the yellow throat, rather than the yellow belly. But this bird
had both.

We did not hear the bird make any sort of vocalization. That's the bad news, I
guess.

This is the third Empid I have encountered in the past week. But this bird was
markedly different, and was simply not a little gray bird with white
underparts, as were the other two I have observed this past week.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958