[Bristol-Birds] Yard Birds and Others

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 08:57:29 -0400

Bristol Area Birders,
Yesterday I had 28 species and 95 birds in my yard on Compton Mountain, here
in Buchanan County VA. I had three Vireo species - Red-eyed, White-eyed and
Blue-headed. I had a pair of Am. Redstarts, a  very handsome male Hooded
Warbler, a small flock of Cedar Waxwings, a Scarlet Tanager, a pair of
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and a Pileated Woodpecker eating Sassafras berries.

Later in the day my wife and I checked out Poplar Gap Park, looking for
shore birds at the couple of large mudholes there. The only shore birds
observed were 6 Killdeer, but we did see 23 Horned Larks, both adults and
juveniles. This is probably the same flock reported by Ed Talbott a couple
of weeks ago.

Enjoy the birds,
Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA