[Bristol-Birds] Winter weather drives migration

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:53:15 -0400

I left home this morning with the first snow flurries of the day
at about 9:15 a.m.  After a doctor's appointment and lunch,
I was afield to see what the cold front brought. Temperatures
were down in the mid-30's just before daylight this morning.

.

Tonight's weather across the eastern part of the country
is cold and snowy. Tuesday's birding could bring more
waterbirds and such.

Skies will slowly clear overnight Tuesday with a few
lingering flurries possible.  Lows in the upper 20s
to lower 30s.

Today at Middlebrook Lake
Bristol, TN, Sullivan Co:

Wood Duck 6
Gadwall 5
Green-winged Teal 3
Ring-necked Duck 16
Hooded Merganser 2
Ruddy Duck 4
Pied-billed Grebe 10
Great Blue Heron 2

Paddle Creek Ponds
Sullivan Co, TN:

Dunlin 1
Rusty Blackbirds ~500
Brown-headed Cowbirds ~300
Eastern Meadowlark 10
Hooded Merganser 3
Killdeer 9
Great Blue Heron 3
Mallard 2
Cooper's Hawk 1
Gadwall 4

Musick's Campground
South Holston Lake
Sullivan Co., TN

Just a few minutes behind Rick Knight's observations.
The only thing different was:

Common Loon - 2

Did see two birds at rest well downstream with the wind
blowing too hard and waves creating too much movement
for my scope.  Felt the birds might be scoters but could
not get a positive ID on that, let alone the species.
Was fascinated at the reports of Surf Scoters seen today.

Rooty Branch Wetlands near Bristol TN Water Treatment
Plan, eastern Sullivan Co:

Wood Ducks 4
Mallards 2

Holston Mountain (3,500 ft. to 4,400 ft.) was white with
snow near the top.

Let's go birding. . . . .

Windows bitmap