[Bristol-Birds] Winged Deer trails this eve

  • From: Heather Jones <hrupejones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 20:07:22 -0400

Birding on the trails of Winged Deer this evening.  (5:30-7:00p, Disc-golf
side.) There had been a rain, so I went to try my luck at finding warblers.
 I heard one, very buzzy and ascending-- but didn't see the culprit.  There
were tons of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers all over the place, but this song was
different.

I found a couple of good birds tonight-- one being a Hairy Woodpecker.
 Thought it was a Downy til I inspected it closer.  That's not a common one
for me anyway.  Rick's book cites it as uncommon all year.  Unless one of
them was following me, I saw more than one.

And saw my very first Scarlet Tanager.  I am giddy.  It was chilled out on
a tree for a good long time, so I got to admire/study it.

Enclosing some (almost) decent photos of both birds.  Taken through my
binoculars with my smartphone.

If anyone can recommend a good place to get a tripod for my scope, I would
appreciate it.  Mine came with a tabletop tripod which is pretty much
useless in the field.  I am able to take much better photos through it than
my binoculars, and I could have gotten some great shots of that Tanager had
I brought it along.

Heather Jones
Piney Flats, TN