[Bristol-Birds] Wilson's Snipe, Hampton, TN

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 20:25:57 EST

I had a Wilson's Snipe at my home in Hampton, TN, today (Sunday, March 7).
This is only the second time I've had a snipe visit my property. That first
time took place on a snowy January day back in the '90s. That bird stuck close
to the streambed of Simerly Creek. (And back then the Wilson's Snipe was still
known as the Common Snipe.)

Today's snipe stayed in some puddles in a wet field that features a stand of
cattails. I flushed the bird while driving toward my garage. Throughout the
day, I flushed the snipe twice more. Each time, he flew only a few yards before
dropping down into the grass and becoming almost immediately invisible.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN