[Bristol-Birds] White-winged Dove at Evergreen Hills

  • From: RonEHarrin <RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Bird Network <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steven Hopp <shopp@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 21:55:31 -0400

Around 7:00 this evening I observed an unusual looking dove sitting in the dogwood beside my deck, not more than 40 feet away. Got my attention right away. (Didn't have my binoculars at this point) The first thing I noticed was a narrow, but distinctive, white line outlining the folded wing and the dark primaries. Its tail was relatively short and square (as opposed to the sharp tail of the Mourning Dove), and it appeared heavier and larger than a Mourning Dove ( I have them hanging around my feeders daily). I also noticed a black mark just below the ear. I ruled out a Eurasian Collard Dove which I have seen several times in South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida in the past. After a few minutes it flew towards my neighbor's yard and I could clearly see black on the outer flight feathers and large white wing bars closer to the body. There was also white on the edge of its tail, with some black on the inside of that. The bird then came back and landed in a tree just above my feeders, staying there for about five minutes. By then I had gotten out my binoculars(10 x 42 Vortex Viper), confirming the white on the edge of the wing, the short, squarish tail, and the black mark under the ear (as opposed to the black on the nape of the Eurasian Collard Dove). Its body color was mostly light brown. Before I could find my camera, it flew away and I again could see the wing/tail colors described above.

After consulting several field guides, including the _The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America,_ I am convinced it was a White-winged Dove. Don't know what it was doing here!!?? Will keep a close look out and have my camera close by if it comes back!

Ron Harrington
Evergreen Hills,
Bristol, VA (Near Exit 10, I-81)