[Bristol-Birds] White-winged Dove (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:44:45 -0400 (EDT)

June 4, 2009

Yesterday evening between 5:00 and 6:00, a White-winged Dove was seen and
photographed in Greene County by a resident near Allen's Bridge. Although the
photographer was unsure of the identification, she recognized that the bird was
not a Mourning Dove, and she sent me copies of the photos this morning. I
reviewed them carefully and also passed them along to Rick Knight.

The photos were made on private property to which no access has been offered,
but this seems to be a moot point, at least for now, as the bird was not seen
today by the resident. I also was unable to locate it this evening when I drove
the area and scanned from nearby roads.

Interestingly, a White-winged Dove was also reported on April 18 this year from
Butcher's Valley Road in Hawkins County. It put in a brief appearance and was
not seen again. Rick informs me that these are probably the only two East
Tennessee records for this species. I am working with the person who found the
Greene County bird to ensure that a report is sent to the Tennessee Bird
Records Committee.

I will, of course, notify list servers if the dove reappears.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN