[Bristol-Birds] White-throated and Swamp Sparrows, both Kinglets, etc.

  • From: "Ed Talbott" <etalbott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birders" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:57:38 -0400

Bristol Birders,

Michelle and I birded the reclaimed strip mine site at Guesses Fork in Buchanan
County
this Sunday.  The highlight of the trip was our first White-throated and Swamp
sparrows of
the season.  We also ran across a small flock of Ruby-crowned Kinglets.  Other
species
included Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, and Tennessee Warbler along with good
numbers of
Blue-headed Vireos.  We jumped a covey of about 15 Northern Bobwhite and before
they got
more than 10 feet off the ground a Red-tailed Hawk made a pass over Michelle's
shoulder at
them.  The hawk must have been circling over our heads because it was just a
couple of
seconds from the time the first quail jumped off the ground until the hawk came
over us -
very exciting!  Monarchs were everywhere and fall was in the air.

Monday morning I had a meeting in Abingdon, so I left early and spent about an
hour
birding Hidden Valley Lake in Washington Co., VA.  On top of the mountain I
found
Dark-eyed Juncos, both Kinglets, and a single Black-throated Green Warbler.
Yellow-rumped
Warblers and Blue-headed Vireos were working the trees in good numbers.  At the
lake I
jumped a Wilson's Snipe and noted two Pied-billed Grebes.  I saw what I thought
was a Song
Sparrow fly into a marshy area and then got another one second look at the bird
- which
had white streaking down the back.  I'm guessing a Marsh Wren but it seemed more
sparrow-like to me - Sharp-tailed??  I waited twenty minutes for the bird to
leave the
clump of reeds it flew into but finally had to leave to make the meeting.

Stopped by Stuart's Pond in Rosedale on the way home this evening.  There I
found a Green
Heron, Belted Kingfisher, Wilson's Snipe, and Great Blue Heron.

Good Birding,

Ed Talbott
Grundy, VA