[Bristol-Birds] White-rumped Sandpiper photo shoot

  • From: michael sledjeski <mtnsylva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:12:46 -0400

Ten Islands, Cocke county, 10/10/10
Douglas Lake elevation: 972.9 ft

JPEG image

The juvenile white-rumped  sandpiper, reported by Don Miller on 10/10, had no
fear of us.  It stayed on a rocky riverbank about 5 or 6 feet away while we
watched it  from a canoe.
The late-afternoon lighting was excellent;  I was able to get many sharp,
detailed photos.  I've posted 5 on a pbase gallery, starting at:
http://www.pbase.com/sylvafoto/image/129316987
The bird gave a demonstration of the flexibility of its upper mandible, curving
it upwards briefly a few times.  I  caught that in a photo:
http://www.pbase.com/sylvafoto/image/129316805

Michael Sledjeski
Del Rio TN