[Bristol-Birds] Re: Where are the Fox Sparrows ? Under our radars ?

  • From: "Richard Knight" <rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 16:21:34 -0500

With the bountiful rainfall last year, most plants produced bountiful crops of
seeds, fruits, etc. for birds & other wildlife.  With this abundant food source,
it's likely that they don't need to flock to feeders.  They have plenty of food
available, even with the recent heavy snowfall.

I have seen groups of 5 to 6 Fox Sparrows at a couple of sites in Washington
Co., TN.  So, they are here.

Purple Finch and Pine Siskin are irruptive.  It's normal for them to be scarce
or
absent some winters.

I have had normal numbers of the regularly occurring species at my feeders
in town.  Also saw a couple thousand Robins yesterday as I traveled around
Boone Lake.

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN

Subject: [Bristol-Birds] Re: Where are the Fox Sparrows ? Under our radars ?

It is possible that the absence of the influx of Fox Sparrows is representative
of all species?
I cannot account for such small numbers of all kinds of birds.