[Bristol-Birds] Western Washington County

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 22:40:46 -0500

Yesterday (Jan 10) I birded in Western Washington County around Hales Chapel
Rd., Leesburg, Bowmantown, and Limestone.  Highlights:

Hales Chapel Rd.
Red-headed Woodpecker           2
Loggerhead Shrike                       1
The Woodpeckers were in the woodlot between the intersection of Shadden
Rd/Hales Chapel Rd. intersection and where the high voltage power lines cross
Hales Chapel Rd.  The Shrike was just downhill a bit beyond the power lines.

Yankee Camp Rd.
Loggerhead Shrike    1

Intersection of Davy Crockett Rd and Keebler Rd.
N. Harrier                 1

Keebler Rd.
Common Raven           2
Peregrine                      1
Horned Larks               3 or more
The Peregrine had just caught some prey (I didn't see it catch it and I
couldn't identify what it was).  The peregrine flew to a snag south of Keebler
Rd. and SE of the farm buildings to feast.

Also a Cooper's Hawk on Hales Chapel Rd, 6 Wild Turkeys flew over Armstrong
Hill Rd., and Red-tailed Hawks and Am. Kestrels were seen at numerous
places--at least 3 Red-tailed Hawks and at least 10 Kestrels.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City