[Bristol-Birds] Weekend Walk at Sycamore Shoals, Elizabethton, TN

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 09:51:58 -0400

The bird walk at Sycamore Shoals State Historic Park in Elizabethton on
Saturday, May 16, attracted a good turnout.

Attending the walk, in addition to myself, were:
James Holder, Jim Anderson, Roy Knispel, Gil Derouen, Darla Dye, Paul Bayse,
Brookie and Jean Potter, David Thometz, Aubrie Abernethy, Lisa Tyler, Miriam
Perkins and John Hay.

The highlights included watching Yellow-crowned Night-Herons foraging around the
Franklin Pool area, including one doing a walk along the top of a chain link
fence, as well as visiting their nests near the Watauga River, where we saw
several of these herons on their nests. We witnessed mate feeding and
distribution of nesting materials.

We also saw a Great Blue Heron on the Watauga River. Some other highlights
included looks at such birds as Eastern Kingbird, Brown Thrasher, Cedar Waxwing,
Indigo Bunting and Spotted Sandpiper.

We also visited the park's butterfly garden and milkweed patch, where Aubrie
showed us some eggs and caterpillars of Monarch butterflies.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN