[Bristol-Birds] Water areas Washington and Sullivan Counties Tues, Aug. 27

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:23:39 -0400

Yesterday (Aug. 27) Reece Jamerson and I checked water areas in Washington and
Sullivan Counties.  Highlights (such as they were):

Austin Springs
Wood Duck                         4
D.C. Cormorant                   1
Great Blue Heron                 3
Green Heron                        2
Osprey                                 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk            1
Kingfisher                             1

Paddle Creek
Wood Duck                          2
Mallard                                 1
D.C. Cormorant                    1
Great Blue Heron                  1

Musick's Campground
Mallard                                35
Great Blue Heron                   1

Middlebrook Lake
Mallard                                22
Great Blue Heron                  2
Killdeer                                 1
Spotted Sandpiper                 1
Coot                                      1

Nothing unusual at the Weir Dam, S. Holston Lake Dam Overlook, or along Rooty
Branch and Pemberton Roads.  We saw one White-tailed spike buck swimming back
and forth on the far side of the lake across from Musick's Campground.  He
eventually crawled up the bank and disappeared.  It was a good day to be
out--great weather.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City