[Bristol-Birds] Washington DC: Natural Tunnel State Park

  • From: Bill Cawood <b_cawood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 16:31:31 -0700 (PDT)

I spent a week in and around Washington DC the week of June 20 - June 27.  We
stayed on the shore of the Potomac River in Mason NEck State Park.  The Jaames
House is located 1.4 miles from a paved road deep in the woods.  LOTS of
birds.  More than I could ever count or ID but I will give a synopsis. Also
included will be birds seen on the drive up.

Red shouldered hawk heard in Arlington National Cemetery
Turkey Vulture
Osprey (nesting platform off the shore about 150 yards)
Great Blue Herons (3-5 birds per day)
Wood thrush
hermit thrush
goldfinch
American Robin
tree swallow
barn swallow
crows
grackle
brown thrasher
barred owl seen in broad daylight
ovenbird
hooded warbler

On Wednesday the interpretive staff canoed from Ft Blackmore to Hill Station on
the Clinch River to scout for future canoe trips and snorkeling events.
3 Black Coromorants
Great Blue Herons
Green heron
barn swallows
tree swallows
osprey
red tailed hawk
starlings
red wing blakcbirds
mallards
wood ducks
Canada geese
turkey vultures
black vultures
cardinals
eastern bluebirds
sharp shinned hawk

On Friday July 3 a red tailed hawk with a large rodent flew over the Stock
Creek Interpretive Center grounds.  The hawk has a nest nearby.  She calls
frequently BUT we cannot locate her nest.  She nested in the same area last
summer and raised at least 2 young.

Bill Cawood, Interpreter Natural Tunnel State Park