[Bristol-Birds] Washington Co., TN Harrier, Bank Swallows

  • From: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:19:22 -0400

Tuesday, 23 AUG 2005
western Washington Co., TN
D. Holt

At dusk Tuesday a Northern Harrier was observed flying near the pond on Clark's
Rd. heading roughly north, which is the general direction of the Harrier roost
area discovered last winter near Bowmantown Rd.

Just prior to the Harrier sighting, I had been observing good numbers of
swallows foraging all around the western Washington Co. area.  Bank, Barn,
Tree, and Cliff Swallows were found at several sites.  At Keebler Rd. I made a
definite count of 22 Bank Swallows on a wire at one time, and at Powell Rd. I
estimated thirty Bank Swallows on the wire.  At both sites they were mixed with
the other species, offering a good chance to study the differences between
species, adult and juvenile, in flight and perched.  At Clarks Rd. pond there
was no conveniently viewed perching site, but at least two Bank Swallows there
were clearly identifiable among the other swallows when they flew close
overhead.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN