[Bristol-Birds] Washington Co., TN Good Friday

  • From: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 22:09:55 -0400

FRI 10 APR 2009
Austin Springs and Winged Deer Park, Washington Co., TN
D. Holt

Larry McDaniel and I saw a few birds and bugs this afternoon: AS=Austin Springs, WD=Winged Deer Park

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - AS
Falcate Orangetip - WD
West Virginia White - WD
Clouded Sulphur - AS
Orange Sulphur - AS
Spring Azure - WD
Henry's Elfin - WD
Painted Lady - AS  First of year in Washington Co. for us
Juvenal's Duskywing - WD

Common Green Darners - AS  Patrolling males and tandem pairs ovipositing

Merganser sp.? - AS I'm not sure what to make of it. Its plumage was kind of pale brown and mottled, the crest looked more like a Red-breasted, the legs were bright orange-red, the throat pattern was pale, but seemed like a Common. Your guess is probably better than mine.
Blue-winged Teal - 18 AS
Osprey - 2 AS
Broad-winged Hawk - 1 at AS and 1 at WD
Solitary Sandpiper AS
Wilson's Snipe - 5 AS
Tree, Barn and Cliff Swallows and Purple Martins - AS
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers - AS, WD
Savannah Sparrows - 6 AS

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN