[Bristol-Birds] Warbling Vireo's, Hawkins Co. John Sevier Steam Plant, TN

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:50:38 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Britton"
To: "Bird List Freelists"
Sent: July 10, 2010 12:23
Subject: [TN-Bird] Warbling Vireo's, Hawkins Co. John Sevier Steam Plant TN

July 9, 2010

I have had a good summer locating singing Warbling Vireo's....two yesterday just below the John Sevier plant. Earlier (May) I found one at Mossy Creek/ Cherokee lake (Jefferson Co) and later (June) below Cherokee Dam. I have also seen them in MN, OH, and KY with the KY bird (Gen. Butler SP) singing from a nest. All birds were along rivers or lakes and in sycamore or cottonwood trees just as the field guides tell us.

Other bird of interest at the steam plant: 5 great egrets, a flock of purple martins, and a yellow-throated warbler.

No brown-headed nuthatch or pine warbler....but it looks promising for a return trip (not in the middle of day with machinery noise).

Been birdn?

Ben Britton
Morristown, TN
Hamblen Co.