[Bristol-Birds] Warblers on the move

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:45:16 -0400

Area Birders,
This morning a feeder flock moved into the cherry tree outside our dining
room door. A couple of Red-eyed Vireos first caught my eye, then a
Worm-eating Warbler hopped into view. Shortly after a male Black-and-White
Warbler was observed moving along a branch. A few seconds later a male
Hooded Warbler emerged from behind some leaves.

As I was watching the Hooded play tag with a male Goldfinch, a female
Blue-winged appeared in the lower branches. I just had time to get a good
look and point her out to my wife before the whole flock flew from the tree
toward the backyard.

Later in the backyard a male Blue-winged was feeding in the apple tree, and
a Yellow-throated Vireo hopped about in the top branches of the large walnut
tree. Not a bad morning for the yard. It may have been even better had it
not been for the thick fog that made distant viewing difficult. I was able
to make out a Scarlet Tanager in the top of a locust tree at some distance.

Enjoy the birds,
Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA
Buchanan County Bird Club