[Bristol-Birds] Warblers, including a migrant, Hampton, TN

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:36:28 -0400

This morning (Wednesday, Aug. 13) before leaving for work from home in Hampton,
TN, I heard the chip note of a Hooded Warbler in a swampy, overgrown corner. I
"pished" very briefly and a female Hooded Warbler popped into view. She seemed
very curious, and hopped from branch to branch to get a better look, probably
from no more than three or four feet away. Then she got bored and continued
feeding, snapping up a few gnats and finding something on the underside of
leaves that seemed to interest her.

Then, a few moments later, while scanning the willows along the creek, I
thought she had re-appeared. A closer look, however, revealed a female (or
perhaps immature) Yellow Warbler.

The Yellow Warbler is not one of the resident warblers at my home, so this gets
to count as my first sighting of a fall migrant. The Common Yellowthroat from a
few days ago was heard, not seen.

Common Yellowthroats and Yellow Warblers are found during the nesting season
relatively close to my location, but I do not have any evidence to support they
are breeding birds at or around the immediate vicinity of my home.

Still waiting for the migrants from outside this region to start showing.

And a Gray Catbird showed up for a breakfast of elderberries.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN