[Bristol-Birds] Warblers, Vireos, Hawks

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:53:05 -0400

Area Birders,
My wife and I birded the Breaks Interstate Park on the VA KY border today.
BLUE-HEADED VIREOS were singing in the park, and  a couple of BLACK-AND-WHITE
WARBLERS were heard at two locations. The first YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER found
in the park this season was singing from a tall pine. We were expecting to find
Black-throated Green Warblers, but they were nowhere to be found. They will
probably show up within the next couple of days. They were found there last
year on April 3.
A female RING-NECKED DUCK was on the park lake. One pair of the park's 17
nesting pairs of Wood Ducks flushed from some cattails.
A Carolina Chickadee had commandeered a Prothonatary Warbler nest box we had
erected last year near Bull Mt. Chickadees used it last year also.
Ten TREE SWALLOWS were observed over a field and some were checking out a
bluebird nest box near the Breaks community. A RED-SHOULDERED HAWK was heard in
the area, and on the way home we stopped to check out a RED-TAILED HAWK nest
that had been used last year. The nest is located on Clevinger Curve of Rt. 460
west pf Grundy just across the Levisa River. The head of what looked like an
adult RED-TAIL could be seen peeking above the edge of the nest.
We found a total of 29 species. With great weather it was an excellent day to
be out.
Following is a complete list of species.

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mt.
Buchanan County

Northern Cardinal 3