[Bristol-Birds] Wade GeFellers had 10 Red-headed Woodpeckers in Cocke Co., TN 26 Dec 2014

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bristol-birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 21:40:44 -0500

Wade GeFellers had Red-headed Woodpecker (10) on 26 December 2014

At Burnett Gap Trail, Cocke County, TN

"The most RHWO I have ever seen. Notice the birds first by call and

realized that it was very rare for that many birds. However, I stopped

walking and began to scan the tree tops and at one point could see

5 different birds with many more calling that I couldn't see. Therefore

I would actually say that this is a conservative estimate.  The area

is a S to SW facing slope that has been burned over very hot in recent

years. Additionally, storm damage has blown many trees down which has

resulted in a unique landscape with a brushy understory and open canopy

with numerous dead oak trees. I noticed several cavities in the dead

trees also which are likely nesting cavities during the breeding season.

There were many other woodpecker species using the area, including RBWO,

and DOWO. 100%, without a doubt these birds were RHWO. If you are in the

area, the very steep climb is well worth the reward."