[Bristol-Birds] WT Sparrow, et al.

  • From: Jennifer Kennedy <elysian2b@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:38:26 -0500

Seeing the usual around my feeders for the GBBC - best birds have been 3
handsome fox sparrows that come every day.  I used to have a single junco
but he hasn't been around for a while.  I have one mockingbird that likes
the suet but isn't the despot that Ron's is.  Heading to Sugar Hollow later
to find screech owls and a winter wren and who knows what else.

The most unusual thing has been a little bedraggled white-throated sparrow
that I saw while filling my feeders this morning.  He didn't fly away like
the swarm of others but skittered into a space under the siding of the
house.  When I came back with another scoop, he had returned and was too
brave or too weak to flee again.  He regarded me cautiously with a tipped
head and then started feeding. I was close enough to stoop and pick him up
but thought better of it.  His body rocked asymmetrically from side to side
with what in a baby I would call retractions - signs of respiratory
distress.  I don't think he'll make it back north with his buddies this
spring.

Jennifer Kennedy
Bristol VA