[Bristol-Birds] W Washington County, Sullivan County NE TN

  • From: <merlin42@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 21:48:35 -0800

Area and Tennessee Birders,

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Today - Larry McDaniel, Jeremy Stout, Don Holt, and myself birded select areas
of Washington County and Sulivan County.  At most water locations there were
Mallards which are not included in the listing below.

Washington County:

Pond off Hwy 75 (1.4 miles from 11E) [James Brooks and company were at our
morning meeting place meeting to go to Hiwassee Refuge.  They followed us over
to this location).

Greater-white Fronted  Goose 1
Snow Geese 3 (2  Blue Morph, 1 [immature] White  Morph
Canada Geese ++

Smithdale Blvd

Eurasion-collared Dove 1

Keebler Road

Horned Larks (flock flying)
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawks 2 (on drive to Keebler Road)
Kestrel

Stockton Road

Red-headed Woodpecker 1

Bush Hog Pond (on the newly names Precision Blvd)

Green-winged Teal 4+
Blue-winged Teal 1
Wilson's Snipe 2
Ruddy Duck 1

After lunch Larry, Don, and myself travelled to Kingsport.

Sullivan County:

Netherland Inn Drive (at Riverfront Restraurant)
On River(upstream):
Northen Pintail 3

On River (downstream)
Lesser Scaup 5
Great Blue Heron 2

On near bank right side of restraurant:
Spotted Sandpipier 1

After I got back to my car I stopped over at Winged-Deer Park and found the
Ross' Goose very close and had a great look.  It was on the bank at the end of
the paved trail leading from the Winged-Deer Park Festival Parking with Canada
Geese.  I was about ~300 feet away at one point.  This goose made me have a 4
goose day.  Not bad for NE Tennessee on one day.

Misses:

Sandhill Cranes - Picken's Bridge/Crouch Rd (checked at 12:30 & 3:30)
Peregrine Falcon - Keebler Rd (checked at 9:30 & 10:30)

--
Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN