[Bristol-Birds] Virginia Rails at Meadowview

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 11:08:07 -0400

Again this morning, while I was photographing birds on the golf course at
Meadowview in Kingsport, I had Virginia Rails. This time I had two birds
giving the "kid-dick" calls and one bird gave a full song a couple of times.
Both birds were in the strip of cattails on the golf course, between the
parking lot behind Eastman Credit Union and Horse Creek on the golf course.
One bird was near the end of the strip closest to Reservoir Road and the
other was about the midpoint of the cattail strip. I spent a couple of hours
there this morning between 8am and 10 am and the rails were calling
periodically the entire time. I didn't spend any time trying to see the
birds as they were in thick cattails, but one bird was calling within 20
feet of me at one time. Also had my first female Red-winged Blackbirds in
the marsh yesterday morning.

Rick
--
Rick Phillips