[Bristol-Birds] Virginia Rail

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:39:57 -0400

April 10, 2012
Golf Course at Meadowview
Sullivan County, Tennessee

A rare occurrence today. While standing at the edge of a cattail strip
below Eastman Credit Union this morning (usual reporting location on
Reservoir Rd) I not only got to hear, but also SAW a Virginia Rail. This is
the first visual record for me this spring, although I've heard them
calling almost every visit for the past month and a half. The bird flew
(very weakly) with legs dangling just above the tops of the new cattail
growth for around 6 feet and then dropped back into the vegetation and gave
the full "oink-oink-oink" call right in front of me. This was at the very
end of the cattail strip below the rear Eastman Credit Union parking lot on
the end nearest Reservoir road. This was the only rail I encountered today.

Rick

--
Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee