[Bristol-Birds] Utah Birding

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:27:59 EST

Sorry, I'm re-posting because I forgot to include text in the "Subject Line."
Oct. 14-22, I had the chance to bird in Utah in the vicinity of Salt Lake
City. I also spent some time in Nevada, Wyoming and Idaho.

I saw 13 life birds:

1. California Gull
2. Black-billed Magpie
3. Western Meadowlark
4. Cinnamon Teal
5. Clarkâ??s Grebe
6. Western Scrub-Jay
7. Spotted Towhee
8. Black-capped Chickadee
9. Yellow-headed Blackbird
10. Mountain Chickadee
11. American Dipper
12. Townsendâ??s Solitaire
13. California Quail

I also saw several western â??racesâ?? of birds:
1. Red-shafted Flicker (Northern Flicker)
2. Audubonâ??s Warbler (Yellow-rumped Warbler)
3. Oregon Junco (Dark-eyed Junco)
4. Gray-headed Junco (Dark-eyed Junco)

Total:
1. Common Loon
2. Pied-billed Grebe
3. Horned Grebe
4. Eared Grebe
5. Red-necked Grebe
6. Clarkâ??s Grebe
7. White Pelican
8. Double-crested Cormorant
9. Great Blue Heron
10. Turkey Vulture
11. Herring Gull
12. California Gull
13. Ring-billed Gull
14. Bonaparteâ??s Gull
15. Red-tailed Hawk
16. Bald Eagle
17. Northern Harrier
18. Sharp-shinned Hawk
19. American Kestrel
20. California Quail
21. American Avocet
22. Greater Yellowlegs
23. Killdeer
24. Dunlin
25. Rock Pigeon
26. Mourning Dove
27. Virginia Rail
28. Common Coot
29. Mallard
30. Northern Pintail
31. Gadwall
32. Green-winged Teal
33. Blue-winged Teal
34. Cinnamon Teal
35. Northern Shoveler
36. Lesser Scaup
37. Ring-necked Duck
38. Redhead
39. Common Merganser
40. Red-breasted Merganser
41. Canada Geese
42. Trumpeter Swan
43. Belted Kingfisher
44. Downy Woodpecker
45. Northern (Red-shafted) Flicker
46. American Robin
47. Townsendâ??s Solitaire
48. Cedar Waxwing
49. American Dipper
50. Horned Lark
51. American Pipit
52. Western Scrub-Jay
53. Black-billed Magpie
54. American Crow
55. Common Raven
56. Black-capped Chickadee
57. Mountain Chickadee
58. Marsh Wren
59. Yellow-rumped (Audubonâ??s) Warbler
60. European Starling
61. Red-winged Blackbird
62. Yellow-headed Blackbird
63. Western Meadowlark
64. Common Grackle
65. Brewerâ??s Blackbird
66. House Sparrow
67. Song Sparrow
68. White-crowned Sparrow
69. Dark-eyed (Oregon, Gray-headed and Slate-colored) Junco
70. House Finch
71. Red Crossbill
72. American Goldfinch
73. Spotted Towhee

Birded in the following locations: Best birds are highlighted

Near Wendover, Utah:
Oct. 16 â?? Western Meadowlark, Cinnamon Teal, Bonaparteâ??s Gull, Northern
Shoveler, Northern Pintail and Eared Grebe.

Ezra Taft Benson Grist Mill in Stansbury Park, Utah:
Oct. 16 â?? Virginia Rail, White-crowned Sparrow, Northern Harrier, American
Kestrel and Northern (Red-shafted) Flicker. Also saw a Coyote.

Wetlands near Salt Air, Great Salt Lake, Utah:
Oct. 16 â?? Great Blue Heron, Clarkâ??s Grebe, Pied-billed Grebe.

Emigration Canyon at Emigration Place, Utah:
Oct. 17 â?? Western Scrub-Jay, Spotted Towhee, White-crowned Sparrow

Echo Canyon Reservoir in Echo, Utah:
Oct. 17 â?? Common Merganser, Red-necked Grebe, Eared Grebe, Clarkâ??s Grebe,
Herring Gull, California Gull and Bald Eagle. Also saw   Least Chipmunks.

Evanston, Wyoming:
Oct. 17 â?? Black-billed Magpie and Red-tailed Hawk. Also saw Pronghorn
Antelope.

Bear Lake, Utah:
Oct. 17 â?? Common Loon (60+) and California Gull (20+)
Oct. 18 â?? American Crow and Black-billed Magpie

Bear Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Idaho
Oct. 18 â?? Trumpeter Swan, Red-breasted Merganser, Marsh Wren, Redhead,
Greater Yellowlegs, Western Meadowlark, Northern Harrier and American Pipit.

Monpelier, Idaho
Oct. 18 â?? American Crow and Downy Woodpecker.

Dingle, Idaho
Oct. 18 â?? Black-billed Magpie, Cedar Waxwing, American Robin, Black-capped
Chickadee, Downy Woodpecker, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Red-winged Blackbird and
Common Grackle.

Merkley Lake, Idaho
Oct. 18 â?? Horned Grebe, Pied-billed Grebe, Northern Harrier and Canada Geese.

Mud Lake, Idaho
Oct. 18 â?? Double-crested Cormorant, White Pelican, Song Sparrow and Marsh
Wren.

Bear Lake, Idaho
Oct. 18 â?? Common Loon, American Coot and Eared Grebe.

Sweetwater Trailer Park, Garden City, Utah:
Oct. 19 â?? Yellow-rumped (Audubonâ??s) Warbler, Mountain Chickadee,
Sharp-shinned Hawk)

Scenic Overlook over Garden City, Utah:
Oct. 19 â?? Red Crossbill

Logan Canyon, Utah:
Oct. 19 â?? Dark-eyed (Oregon and Slate-colored) Junco, Mountain Chickadee,
American Dipper and Townsendâ??s Solitaire.

Logan, Utah;
Oct. 19 â?? Black-billed Magpie and American Crow.

South of Brigham City on Interstate 15:
Oct. 19 â?? Brewerâ??s Blackbird

Farmington, Utah
Oct. 19 â?? Red-tailed Hawk

Murray, Utah:
Oct. 20 â?? California Quail, House Finch and Northern (Red-shafted) Flicker.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN