[Bristol-Birds] Re: Upper Douglas Lake - Plovers

  • From: michael sledjeski <mbsledjeski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 08:43:03 -0400

Mike Todd emailed after my post yesterday.  He thinks the plover identified as
American-Golden is a second Black-bellied, based on "indistinct cap, fairly
short primaries, white bellies, very cold plumage tones".  Leslie and I called
it a Golden based on finer head, neck and bill, plus the conspicuous smudge
behind the eye.  The cap seemed darker in the flesh.
I wanted to stay for better photos and watch for the black axillaries in
flight, but we were already late for dinner with friends.

image/jpg

Michael Sledjeski
Del Rio TN